Lettuce is a everyday companion of our daily meals. Many European nations like the Spanish, Portuguese and French and, almost every day have a lettuce on the table, but not only as a addition to the meal, but as a starter. Such an appetizer of fresh salad is flavored with great gourmet knowledge and creativity. As a spices and additives they use: olive sunflower or other edible oil, apple, cider, wine or other vinegar, lemon juice, olives ( green or black ) , various dressings of garlic and parsley, onions, mustard, various spicy herbs, potatoes, beets and mixed meat.
All this confirms the importance of salad as an appetizer or even as a main meal. A typical example is the Caesar salad.
- Romaine or cos lettuce
- Olive or vegetable oil
- Fresh crushed garlic
- Salt to taste
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- Lemon or lime juice, fresh squeezed
- Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly prepared croutons
Mince 3 cloves of garlic, and mixed in a bowl with anchovies, mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, mustard, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Cut the 3 cloves of garlic into quarters and add them to hot oil. Remove garlic from pan after you cook them until brown, and then add bread cubes to the hot oil. Cook until lightly browned then remove them from oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place lettuce in a large bowl. Toss with dressing, remaining Parmesan cheese and seasoned bread cubes.
Many variations of this salad exist. Yogurt is sometimes substituted for the eggs to maintain a creamy texture and others call for using mayonnaise, oil and vinegar.
In the service of health
- Lettuce helps us to establish the alkaline balance in the body , leading to an increase in energy.
- An important ingredient is folic acid which is essential for many processes. This vitamin works against many types of anemia, it fights against osteoporosis, and together with vitamin B12 is necessary for the creation of new blood cells. It is also very important for women in pregnancy.
- Lettuce also contains lactium – a substance that has a calming effect and that’s why is recommended for dinner in a state of anxiety, tension, insomnia and irritability.
- Lettuce is good for the heart, because vitamin C and Beta-keratin it contains decompose the cholesterol, which in turn, prevents from creating a layers in the arteries.
- Minerals in lettuce helps cleaning the body of toxins and maintain the balance of acids and bases. This balance gives more energy, clear thinking, good sleep and radiant and beautiful skin.
- It is effective in treating chronic constipation and thanks to these feature helps maintain optimal weight.
Remember this rule when you buy or clean a lettuce: how greener and darker are the leaves, the greater its nutritional value. Many people do it wrong, they remove the first , outer leaves of lettuce. This is wrong because they contain 2 times more vitamin C in terms of the inner leaves.