These are the ten most recognizable film quotes according to a 1998 survey of a group of 10 film critics and experts who were asked by Guinness to draw up a list of the “Ten most famous movie quotes ever.” According to the publication’s editors, “We were looking for quotations that were accessible and that had popular appeal on a global scale.
Many celebrated screenwriters who have provided generations of movie-goers with such memorable movie quotes and lines of dialogue, from film speeches, one-liners, quips, punchlines, statements and insults. Their words are remembered through popular use, critical acclaim, shock value and quotability, and for many other reasons. Many memorable movie lines are not from the greatest films, but they have remained as part of the film’s legacy (and etched a place in movie history) anyway! The films chosen ranged from 1930 to 1994.
You should definitely learn and memorize these quotes, so you can drop a famous quote in the middle of conversation.
1. Sean Connery, Dr. No (1962)
2. Humphrey Bogart, Casablanca (1942)
3. Mae West, I’m No Angel (1933)
4. Arnold Schwarzenegger, The Terminator (1984))
5. Jean Harlow, Hell’s Angels (1930)
6. Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump (1994)
7. Groucho Marx, Duck Soup (1933)
8. Clark Gable, Gone With the Wind (1939)
9. Robert De Niro, Taxi Driver (1976)
10. Greta Garbo, Anna Christie (1930)